“Psychology and Climate Change”: An Interview with a Jack Linger Independent Study Fund Grant Recipient

Good evening everyone!

Today I made my first video in Adobe Premiere Pro on my MacBook Pro. I am beyond proud of myself and I can’t wait to make more films in this awesome program! I did run into a few significant challenges along the way, but thank goodness I found (and am in the process) of finding great solutions.

Before I get into my process, here are a few pictures of some of the notes I took during the Pre-Production phase and the Production phase of this video:

My Script
This sheet shows some of plan for my edits that I developed in the Pre-Production phase. As you can see, it changed as I went through my process.

On August 6th, I had the pleasure of interviewing my fellow Jack Linger Independent Study Fund recipient Mukta Dharmapurikar on her amazing summer study: Psychology and Climate Change. Make sure to go and check out her blog!

I took both a screen and audio recording of our conversation, using Quicktime for both. I also set my IPhone up on a tripod to catch another angle of the interview. The full conversation ended up being around 16 minutes long and my end goal was to edit it down to around 3-5 minutes. I can happily say that this goal was achieved!

After our conversation, my next task was to take all of this footage and upload it to my new film editing program, Adobe Premiere Pro. I would just like to say, again, that this was my first time making a video in this program and that I am super satisfied with the outcome! This may be a shock to some, but my total editing time came out to around 5 hours for a 5 minute video. That seems like quite a long time, but it’s actually not terrible considering the import/export time, special effects, transitions, color correction/grading, and other aspects that come along with editing. This process certainly takes a lot of concentration and a lot attention to detail .

For those that are curious, this is what the interface of Adobe Premiere Pro looks like.

Since I am still fairly new to this industry-standard program, I didn’t go too crazy with the graphics, sound effects, and other tools that came with Adobe Premiere Pro, which certainly would have added on a few extra hours of the total video production time. I did have to reference my notes and google a few things from time to time, but otherwise, I felt pretty confident editing this video in my new program.

A few hours passed, and before I knew it, I was ready to export my video! I was so happy with the outcome, and I couldn’t wait to show everyone, especially Mukta. Unfortunately, that’s where things went downhill. I was able to complete the exporting stage just fine; the problem was with the storage on my MacBook Pro: I didn’t have enough. I even went through all of my downloads and deleted as many files as I possibly could. I could tell that it would not be feasible to go through this process with every video I make. I spent hours making this amazing video that only I could see. So, that was kind of a bummer.

Nevertheless, I persisted! A few posts ago, I mentioned that I got the opportunity to get a MacBook Desktop that I could customize to meet my needs; this will be my solution. I am going to research and find a computer that meets my needs as a filmmaker (y’all will see a post on that soon) and I plan to send all of the footage from my school computer over to the new one when it arrives so I can export it onto there. It is quite a long solution, but it is so worth it!

To conclude, I am pretty devastated that I can’t share this video with anyone right now, but I still want to let everyone know that I am still and will continue making videos 🙂

Thank you all for your support, it means so much to me!!